Getting to see what the kids at school are up toPosted: September 19, 2013 Filed under: Janitorial work | Tags: garbage, janitors, kids, overtime, school, school lunch, trash Leave a comment
Yesterday, I worked a 13.5 hour day. Hello overtime! My supervisor called to see if I could come in early; she had to get to an appointment. So I was actually at school while the kids were still there, seeing lots of daily goings-on. I’ve done this before, but it’s been a while. A couple of highlights:
– Lunch choices were turkey and gravy or barbecue chicken. I don’t eat meat. I got salad.
– We’re waiting on a delivery of paper towels, so when a classroom ran out (happened 3 times, because we’ve been running low for a while), I had to resort to our back-stock of Bounty. Where all this Bounty came from, I have no idea. It’s way more plush than the stuff the school gets on order though.
– I cleaned a stain off the upholstered dividers we use in the cafeteria.
– I helped two kids walk across the cross-walk out on the bus loop at the end of the day.
– Kids love to stare at me! (Kids love to stare in general.)
– I found a big bag of candy busted open in the trash, toward the end of the night. Whoppers, Almond Joys, Reese’s, Hershey’s Cookies ‘n Cream, etc. My coworker totally caught me fishing them all out, but, that’s alright, I don’t care. He’s seen me digging through garbage so many times.
So, kids! I have no idea how their day was or what they learned or if they made a new friend yesterday. But I do know that the turkey and gravy did not go over so well, that someone in Ms. B’s class really needs to learn how to pee into a toilet, and that they love to bring pebbles from the playground into the building.